MichiganSledder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Be Careful

+3
kidrocker
BMorgan
Rev-Head
7 posters

Go down

Be Careful Empty Be Careful

Post by Rev-Head Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:33 am

Saw this on another site, way to many. BE CAREFUL, things happen fast.

How Many This Year?

An Editorial by Dominic Jacangelo, Executive Director NYSSA

This is an editorial about an issue that no one wants to think about. Last year 19 New York snowmobilers headed out to have some winter fun and never returned to their home and family. They left behind sons and daughters, spouses and parents, friends and fellow club members who will never enjoy their compan-ionship again. Why? There is no simple answer and I cannot point you at a smoking gun. An inescap-able fact is that while New York had 19 fatalities, Vermont had not a single fatality!

While alcohol is a factor in some fatalities it is not a factor in many of them. Clearly excess speed is the number one factor in acci-dents and fatalities. These fatalities are caused by collisions with fixed objects. Most fatalities and in some years all, occur off trail. Over the past couple of decades the number of snowmobile acci-dents has been dropping. Better gear and a better trail system are no doubt factors in this accomplishment. But no matter how hard we try, the number of fatalities seems to be proportional to the amount of snow on the ground.

So here are my suggestions for the coming season:

 Don’t pop it till you park it! Don‘t drink any amount of alcohol until you are done with your rid-ing. Safe snowmobiling requires the sharpest of senses.

 Don’t ride beyond your ability. We all have dif-ferent skill sets and different equipment.

 Ride on the maintained trail system. It is the safest place to ride.

 Don’t ride alone. Unfortunately, last year a few injured snowmobilers were not found until many hours after their accident. By that time it was too late for medical assistance.

 Throttle back! When you‘re late and you‘re hoping to make it home in a hurry, think for a second, what if? What if I never make it home?
Rev-Head
Rev-Head

Back to top Go down

Be Careful Empty Re: Be Careful

Post by BMorgan Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:11 pm

Great post Rev-Head!!! Thanks!!!
BMorgan
BMorgan
Admin

http://www.michigansledder.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kidrocker Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:11 pm

X2
kidrocker
kidrocker

Back to top Go down

Post by SLeDHeaDDude800 Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:31 am

X3
SLeDHeaDDude800
SLeDHeaDDude800

Back to top Go down

Post by Powder Princess Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:40 am

And just to add a comment to the original list. It's like when you were a teenager learning to drive, and your parent's assured you that it's not only YOUR ability that counts. You need to be alert for yourself (obviously), but also for everyone else on the trails. Because they might NOT be following these guidelines. How many times have any of us had to make a quick detour to avoid some other Yahoo flying down the trail or around the corner at high speed after hitting the local tavern. Myself? I've lost count. More near misses than I care to remember. And some of them were never even aware of the tragedy that almost happened.
Powder Princess
Powder Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by snow4mydooplz Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:48 am

Awesome Post !!! Yes, we have to be defensive Powder Princess ... the crosses I see in the woods are a real reality check as well.. Ride Safe People !!
snow4mydooplz
snow4mydooplz

Back to top Go down

Post by Brook Rodenbeck Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:53 pm

Very good post ! close calls are way to common. And one of my best buddies sled was totalled last year up in Eagle River Wis. avoiding a sled cutting the corner so tight he had to take a hard right turn. and found a tree that didnt jump out of the way ! Damm Trees !
Brook Rodenbeck
Brook Rodenbeck

Back to top Go down

Post by Powder Princess Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:26 pm

Man! If I didnt know better, I'd swear you were riding with us! Same place, almost same results. I hate to say it, but Eagle River seems to be the worst. I was riding for 5 years before Toe would even take me to Eagle River. Mind you, I'd spent the previous 4 seasons mountain riding out west, and he STILL wasnt sure he wanted me in Eagle River.
Powder Princess
Powder Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by Brook Rodenbeck Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:52 pm

It can get Bad up there ! there is just too many people there on the trails. There is a restaurant, a bar, a resort, a hotel every 5 miles at the most for 100 sq miles. no body leaves the area. I like to stay on the lake areas. Thats my fav to run on . also you can see them farther away.
Brook Rodenbeck
Brook Rodenbeck

Back to top Go down

Post by Powder Princess Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:49 am

One of the worst ones that we saw up there, Toe was in front of me and it was just before it started to get dark. This guy comes flying around a corner with his little guy in front of him (maybe 3 or 4 years old). Completely runs Toe off the trail. Luckily I had time to get out of the way. No sooner had we got done shaking our heads in disbelief, the MOM comes flying around the same corner with her little GIRL (same age?) in front of her! Almost creamed both of us, and we were OFF the trail because of her husband! Obviously people who have never seen a snowmobile accident. Or at least I hope so. Hope those kids make it to adulthood.
Powder Princess
Powder Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum